Tuesday, March 5, 2013
1. Look at Your Past JobsIn looking at your past jobs decide if you want to continue doing that kind of work. My professional career was technical writing so I decided to use my writing skills to make extra money on the side.
2. Take a Second Look at Your HobbiesIs it something you can turn into a business? Do people rave about your knitting, cooking, photography? One of the things I enjoyed doing was baking. My mom taught me how to bake when I was 10 years old. I turned that hobby into a cake business at a young age.
3. Take Inventory of Your SkillsMake a list of all the skill you have learned over the years. You could have learned these skill on the job or in school. That skill is the thing that could bring in $1,000 or more in extra income per month.
4. Make a List of the ResultsOnce you think about all the jobs, hobbies, skills and natural talents, make a list and pick the top three things that appeals to you the most. Next do an informal survey of your family, friends, and network to determine if they would pay for the service you are thinking of offering.
5. See if There is a Market for Your ServiceAnother way to determine if the service you might offer will be profitable is to see if there are many people looking for the service online. Use Google keyword tool to do an exact search for phrases related to your service. For example, if you plan to offer dog grooming service enter the phrase “dog grooming service in [your city]” into the keyword tool. Be sure to click the exact phrase option on the left side of the screen. Your search results should be at least 10-20K or more searches for your phrase.
6. Do the $100 TestFinally, place an ad on Craigslist or other free classified ad for your service. If you make at least $100 you may have a good service to offer. If not choose the next thing on the list and repeat the process. You will find the right business for you.
Tuesday, February 26, 2013
Materials for Handmade Jewelry Side HustleTo get started you need basic tools including:
- Needle nose pliers or other multi-use tool
- Multi-gauge wires
- Closures / Findings
How Much to Start this Side HustleIf you are starting out making simple jewelry pieces your investment can be as little as $20. It will depend on the complexity of your pieces and the quality of your materials. There are jewelry kits for beginners that you can get on Amazon, at Michael’s, or other craft stores.
Level of Difficulty of this Side HustleThe level of difficulty for making jewelry ranges from super easy to challenging. It will depend on what you are making. A simple pair of earrings can take less than a minute to make. If you are making your own crystals it could take weeks because you have to go through an intense process and a lot of heat to make them.
Where to Sell Handmade JewelryThe number of places to sell your jewelry seems endless. You have the choice to see at arts and crafts shows, at yard sales, on consignment, hair salons, home parties or on your own website. You can also sell on numerous craft selling marketplaces such as: Etsy Yardsellr Art Fire Lily Shop Bonanza Jewelry Wonder
How Much Money Can You Make Selling Handmade Jewelry?You can make as much or as little as you want selling handmade jewelry. It will depend on the uniqueness and quality of your pieces. For example, if you see a simple pair of dragonfly earrings for $10 each you could make $100 if you sell 10 pair. Depending on if you sell on your own website or through one of the online marketplaces listed above, you may or may not have to give up a small percentage of your sales. The faster you can make jewelry and the higher the demand for your pieces the better your chance of making a nice profit. Of course you have to let people know that you have amazing handmade jewelry for sale. Do this through social media, advertising, offering specials and discounts, and using a variety of marketing methods.
How to Make Handmade Jewelry
Additional Handmade Jewelry Resources
Tuesday, February 19, 2013
Thursday, June 21, 2012
This is definitely motivation to start actively making money on this site so I can earn more. The great part is I can do it in my spare time.
They have a newer feature now that I tried out. You can watch videos and get paid. They are basically commercials you see on regular television except you get paid for your time. It's not much, just .02 or .03 each but that can add up right? The videos take all of 30 seconds to watch. The catch is you have to watch the entire video and enter the numbers that scroll in the top, bottom, or side of the video. Then you can claim your money and a special offer. Easy as pie. Why not give it a try? CashCrate.com
Here is the check I just got. Pretty cool, huh? (Click to see a larger size)
Monday, July 26, 2010
Recently I received a letter from a mom whose ex-husband lost his job and probably won’t have money to pay child support for a while. Her hours at work were reduced and she is scrambling to find a way to make extra money or start a side business to supplement her income.
She asked for my advice so this post will serve to answer her question.
I dug through the archives and found 9 articles that speak to her question. There are over 15 ways listed within these articles for this single mom to begin making extra money today.
To sum the articles she can begin by selling some of her possessions either through the local classified ad, through craigslist, or at the local pawn shop. Having a yard sale (especially during this time of year) is also a very good option.
If she has cooking and/or baking skills she can buy some ingredients to make cakes, cookies, or whatever her specialty item is and sell them to the neighbors and co-workers. If she makes up some samples to give away she could get pre-orders.
If cooking is not her thing, she could use her everyday skills to make extra money. Whether it’s typing, sewing, crafts, or whatever she can do, there is a way to make money from her skills and talents.
The biggest issue many people have is fear of their plan failing. They are afraid to try because it might not work. This is a very valid fear. When I first started making money on the side I was not all that confident.
I tested things out first to see if there was any interest. The way most products or services sell is through word of mouth or recommendations. People do it everyday. A friend or family member has a good experience with a product or service and they tell someone else.
The key is to beginning telling people about what you are offering. If you are giving samples of food it should be fairly easy to get things going. If people are asking you for certain things all the time it may be a clue that what you have to offer is or can be in demand.
If this single mom is in desperate need of money then I suggest she begin selling possessions first. It can be books, popular DVDs, small electronic items, instruments, clothing, furniture, or other valuables. Selling her gold jewelry is also a very good way to get a good amount of money fast.
These tips will help this single mom make money quickly. She doesn’t have to struggle or be afraid there are no options for her. The reality is there are many ways to make extra money in a short period of time.
Below are links to the archived articles on what I like to call side hustles or how to make extra money.
I hope you enjoyed reading How to Make Cash Quickly. Do you have any specific questions you’d like to ask me about making extra money or how to reduce your stress as a single mom?